Thursday, November 8, 2018

update for the week!

Can’t remember the last time I posted (and I write in “Word” so that if I lose my writing for some reason I can retrieve it and not have to do it all over!  So that means I can’t see how far in the week I have written until I go out to the trailer and open the wifi and the blog)– I guess it was probably last Saturday-ish……….we did go to Mass and then went out for a appetizer and then to the movie “A Star is Born”.  It was pretty good – we both had seen the one with Kris Kristofferson and Barbara Striesand and this was as good or better though I like the music better in the first of the two!  I think I watched the very first version of the movie on one of my horror movie dics – it may have even been a silent movie!!!  So that was “date nite” complete with buttered popcorn!!!
Sunday we trained and then went to dinner at Jan Shaw’s and had fajitas – that’s something I never have made and it was pretty good – will have to try them!  My contribution was chocolate pudding (sugar free because all of us including the Waltman’s are on diets) and rice crispy treats all topped with Halloween candy pumpkins!
Monday was training again and then Tuesday when we would have trained puppies it was raining pretty hard so we decided to go to Marquette and pick up some dog supplements from Dr. Tim Hunt – we had tried to meet up with him as he passed by here on his way to a rabies clinic for MUSH downstate but we missed his call – soo it took just over 2 hours to get to Marquette and we got the supplements – enough to last until spring – to the tune of $800!!!!  After that shock we went sight seeing in Marquette and spent more money!  We had lunch at a place on the bay (the Iron Bay) at the recommendation of one of the techs at Dr. Tim’s – it was excellent!! I had the whitefish chowder and it was everything the waiter said it would be – we also got a history lesson with lunch because they have historical pictures posted throughout the restaurant with a matching code card that explains the story that goes with the pictures – (so because I just mentioned losing what I have written on the computer the computer cooperated with my example and froze and lost the last half of what I have written the last 15 minutes!!!!!!!! But at least because Word does auto save I only lost ½!!!!!)
After lunch we drove through downtown- a lovely mix of old and new = then we drove around the Presque Isle Park which runs along the waterfront – a very nice park to have right next to a city!!!  Marquette is well work investigating!  Funny how we have driven by on our way somewhere for 20 years and have never been in the downtown!!
Made it back to Newberry and stopped for gas.  We started to leave………….but the started said”no”…………..so we pushed the yellow truck out of the way and couldn’t really tell what the problem was – so we caught our neighbor, fellow musher and mechanic who works in Newberry, at work just before he left! He came down and wiggled some wires (looks like Randy has to clean the batter posts……..) and we were off again. Came home and fed and then met Jan Shaw and Waltman’s and Richard Robinson for dinner at Pine Stump Junction for dinner – after that we went to Waltman’s to watch the election results and celebrate and
 Early Happy Thanksgiving from the UP!!!! All UP natural turkey!!!!
 Randy looking at 3D antique pictures in the restaurant in Marquette
 the ore dock across from the restaurant
 firemen's bell in Marquette

 another ore dock on Presque Isle Island
 view from the island
 our dog training obstacle course!!!!
commiserate………….
Wednesday was training and it was quite a bit colder so the dogs went the longest yet – 13.1 miles! We are even a little ahead on the training schedule!  We really have only lost 1 day so far due to weather with the adult dogs so we are right on track!!
We had one surprise while training-----not 50 feet from where we had to go under a fallen tree on the trail last year, we had a fallen tree 2 foot in diameter that we had to go over!!!!  The 10 dog team went over 2 by 2 (Just like the Ark……..) and broke off most of the rotten branches but it was quite the feat!!!  Then when it came to the 4 wheeler it got stuck on the axles going over!!!!  So after much pulling, pushing and lifting we got it off and over!!!!
Today we awoke to a little accumulation of snow on the ground – trained the puppies and so far, 2 of the 4 so far have done excellent in lead!!!  At only 8 months old!! They are naturals!!!
Tomorrow we are supposed to have a big snow storm with accumulation of up to 8 inches – se we will see how that comes to fruition…………..

1 comment:

Trenkle Family said...

I'm just getting caught up on reading your blog for the last couple of weeks! I love all the pictures of what you've been up to! I ended up putting a bowl of candy out on the porch this year instead of sitting out there for the treaters. I was so tired when I got home from work that I just wanted to sit down and eat and then relax.

Not up to a whole lot this weekend - today is Bill's bday so Caitlin is coming home for the night and we get Monday off. We'll need the time to prep for all the Trenkle Family coming for Thanksgiving! :)

Love you both!!
A