Friday, February 17, 2023

Yay we are in Wisconsin!!! And no problems!!!!!

 After recovering (my back and arms took notice!!) from the day that will go down in infamy-----"The Bad Training Day/Valentines Day" it was time to head for the race in Wisconsin.  We had a goodbye dinner with Jan and Lynn Witte and Stan Bontrager on Wednesday nite and I took a long-awaited shower!!!!!  (Thank you Jan!!!!) We left Deer Park about noon yesterday and went to Newberry and got fuel and some groceries and got rid of our trash and then took off for Iron River - I thought I had heard that it was 10 hours because I ususally think of the UP taking 7 hours to cross but I was thinking wrong as our "stalker/tour guide" daughter, Amy, pointed out!!!  It was only 5 and change! But that would be if we actually drove the speed limit and never stopped!!  

We had every kind of winter weather imaginable --- dry roads, snow covered, icy, sunshine......We took a short cut around Marquette and  saw a sign for a stop sign, and slowed way down as it looked like the stop sign was at the bottom of the hill - well we finally did stop at the sign............after sliding about 20 feet!!!  It was that fine coating of snow that turns to ice thing going on..................

So we ended up getting as far as Ashland, and sure enough there is a Walmart!!!  So we found a good place in the parking lot and settled in.  Randy took a nap and I went in and got some things I had forgotten just that morning shopping!!!! Shopping twice in one day and I still forgot some things!!!!!! Must be "senior-itis"!

We had a comfortable quiet nite and awoke at the crack of dawn.............10am!!  (Us old dog mushers like to sleep in!!!)  Only 8 degrees!!  We must be pretty used to the cold because it didn't really seem that cold. We watered and are than going to drop and head for the race site - should be about 45 minutes,  Once there I can't remember for sure if we had any cell service so you may or may not hear from us until Sunday or Monday - and then maybe you and I will know where we are going next!!  On bad days, Randy says we are going to our "real home" and on good days it's out to do the last 3 races in Quebec!!  So we will see how the dogs do this weekend!

On a "tour guide" note,  yesterday we saw an eagle, then while I was pointing to another eagle and saying "look at that" Randy was thinking that I saw the moose he was seeing!!!  Pretty fun!!

No comments: