Wednesday, January 21, 2009

2nd day of 6 dog race

Note the picture of me with my Mushing USA jacket on and 747 hugging my leg so tight he was pulling my pants down!!!
Not so good as yesterday even though my time was faster ( the trail had been groomed and it was much faster for most teams) because my favorite old time leader Snapper (this is the first year in 5 years Randy hasn't used him in lead in his open team) for some reason didn't want to pull - we put him on the right side because yesterday Spiff was on the right and snow dipped into the banks where it is soft snow bad- so that meant that Snapper was not pulling on his tug line and so I had to drag my heels to slow the team down so he wouldn't get tangled in his tug line - I was ready to "rock and roll" today and am getting my sled driving confidence back so it's too bad I moved down 2 spots to 25th. Plus it didn't help that there were 6 snowmobiles coming at me on the trail today so I had to slow down to make sure that we passed safely! There shouldn't be anybody else on the trail but you can't control all of it. The one good thing that I did catch is that both of the leaders dipped snow in the bank at the same time and all but stopped the team so it was a good thing I was paying attention and put my foot on the brake!!

We found out that the Jamaican guy Damion got disqualified yesterday because he would not allow 3 teams to pass him and Rob Downey got to stay in because there is no IFSS rule that says you have to have the "dog in the bag" just that you have to have a bag!
Last nite we went in to the lodge for a movie = it was about a trapper in the Yukon and his interaction with his sled dogs (fell through the ice on a lake and got saved by his leadeer). We were around the other countries all talking different languages - quite an international treat! Met a guy named Hugo that lives in the far south of Argentina and he has snow because he is close to Antartica!

There is a video of us racing in Markstay-Warren, Ontario on youtube - just put the name of the town and sled dog race in search and Randy is driving my 6 dog team(with only 5) at about 5 minutes and 10 sec on the video and then it finishes up with a picture of our dog truck

Went to the grocery store tonite after I raced - out of bread, milk, eggs and meat - spent $110 and can't figure out if the propane was $60 of it!! First time to town in a week!

Cindy, we would love to have Ocean here, and Aeja.......but it's very cold here!!!

No comments: