Saturday, January 24, 2009

2nd day of unlimited race


Started off much better - as Harris put it something like "they just used manpower to hold the sleds" and Randy got off to a good start - very windy and very cold!!!!! Like I think I heard 4 degrees F- with the strong wind I don't know! He went out 4th and though there were 3 teams ahead of him, there was still much drifting, especially in the "burn" (as Randy calls it because it's an open area - like a clear cut- that reminds him of that area that was flat and treeless on the Iditarod) and the dogs would try to run in the area that looked most open and ended up off the trail- at times he said 1/2 of his team sunk into the snow and they stopped dead. Then the topper was that (we think it was Molly cause they went off to the left, her side) just before the finish line, the leaders went in between the bales of hay into the crowd (ducking is what Randy calls it) and he thinks the point dogs, Sarah and Patent pulled the team back into the finish line - I saw him coming and then saw him running off the sled and thought "uh oh" - so today he is down to 8th position - but many teams had it even worse so I am stilll very proud and hopeful!! Tomorrow he thinks he will put Sarah in lead (last year in lead she just quit - so it's a scary decision) so he won't have to worry about them ducking again. I don't know for sure if he will cut anybody else. Thanks to Mona we got some more video which I will try to post.

Tonite dinner with the gracious Bellerives and it is the "dance in town" if we are up to it!!

1 comment:

Trenkle Family said...

Way to go Randy! I'm so impressed!!! I hope you guys had a nice dinner last night and were able to relax and get warmed up for a bit.

Love you!
Amy