Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hope I am not in last place!!

Went out with 5 dogs instead of 6 because Snapper was pulling back all around the trail yesterday and today was a little windier and snowing and I had to pump around the whole trail (which had a touch more snow on it than yesterday but was packed good) and Cyber, the guy who is a bundle of energy at the start ended up trotting 1/4 of the trail - I guess they were too old and too tired from 3 days of racing!! Even 747 (alias the "leg hugger") snow dipped today and he never did that before!

My final place was not last, I was 24th out of 27 that did all 3 days!

The big winner is Kati Degenais from Quebec who Randy says "stomped" everybody else by at least a minute a day! and she only weighs 90# and she was terrified to go out every day just like me cause she falls quite frequently (just like me!) They had a "regulation Olympic-type" award ceremony with the medals and the flags and the national anthems in the big tent they have set up here on the site. Very impressive! Most of all the countries were in there for the awards adn it's always interesting to hear 5 or 8 different languages being spoken in a crowd (Its was so windy during the presentation I thought the tent might blow down!) It's supposed to die down tonite and that's good for Randy cause he goes out first tomorrow which means he may be breaking trail on a blown in trail or good cause he knows the trail and how to make it work for him. He's been awfully quiet - I am sure he is moving dogs around in his head worrying who to put in which position and how many to take (at the Ontario race he hurt feet on 2 leaders that he wanted to run in the unlimited team tomorrow). He is pretty sure on 15 but is not sure who will get the "nod" on the 16th position and was planning to run 18 and still may if the trail is soft. (He will go out in the morning with the snowmobile and check the trail out to make the decision)

It smells a little "doggy" in here right now- it's been cold enough that we have to bring in 4 5 gallon coolers right by the funace to thaw the meat for the next day and we have harnesses in here to dry out that sometimes get "pooped" on! As soon as we have another slightly warm and sunny day I better hang the rug out to dry and air!

I have tried the last 2 days to post the video that Mona took of me leaving the chute - unsuccessfully - I will keep trying!

1 comment:

Trenkle Family said...

Hi Guys! Good luck to Randy today - I'll be thinking about you!!!

Lots of love coming from Maryland where it will be up to 54 degrees today!